Thursday, December 23

Not Quite a White Christmas, but a Florida Christmas Will Do

I know I've been a little M.I.A. and I'm sorry... apparently the Holidays are CRAZY and stressful once you're a big girl!  


But I've left chilly NC for a warmer climate; now I'm in Naples, Florida visiting my Grandma Helen (my mom's mom).  I like to call her "Pocket Grandma" because she's so little--she's probably 4'8"ish with all the the shrinking that comes along with being a grandma!  
Christmas a few years ago - that's Helen in the middle making us look tall!
Tonight we decorated the little area outside her door this evening and went on a little Christmas lights tour for Grandma to see them.  Everything's a little more magical with Helen around, because she's so appreciative of everything since she doesn't get out much anymore.


My grandma is absolutely A-DOR-A-BLE!  I've been searching for the perfect tacky Christmas sweater for a long time and have been a little down that neither of my grandmothers ever had true tacky sweaters.  BUT today I found a tacky Christmas sweatshirt in her closet and 3 things happened: 1) she didn't even know she had it and asked if it was mine, 2) she thought it looked so darling on me, and 3) she told me I should have it, although it might be a little outdated!  Gotta love her.
My new tacky sweatshirt! And yes, those are sand dollars
on the bottom, not snowflakes!  SO Florida!
The food around the Holidays are always DE-lish; we have a Christmas Eve swordfish dinner planned (one of Helen's favorites) and then dinner in the "Dining Room" (the retirement community's dining room) on Christmas Day -- and it's a buffet!  Swordfish is certainly one of my dad's specialties and I will absolutely have to share some recipes from tomorrow and photos.  My mouth is already watering thinking about the BJBC I get to make tomorrow (for all of you that don't think in acronyms 24/7 because of your job like I do, that is a Baby Jesus Birthday Cake) to celebrate the real reason for Christmas!  It is a Southern tradition, similar to the New Orleans Mardi Gras King Cake, with a little twist from us.  I'm thinking an angel food layer cake with raspberry preserve center layer and fresh whipped cream for frosting, with a few fresh raspberries on top too!
The ORIGINAL BJBC (2 years ago)
Can't wait to share all of the holiday feasts (and failures) with you!


Happy Christmas Eve Eve!!

No comments: