Tuesday, February 15

The Return of Mac Monday... on a Tuesday!


In Galway, Ireland 

MAC MONDAY
Kissing the Blarney Stone
I’ve been in Ireland for almost 2 months now.  I’ve tried several traditional recipes and had some traditional irish meals out at restaurants.  The lamb stew I had at the café above the English market was probably the best meal I have had at a restaurant.  I also made a true version of the Sheppard’s pie that I posted a few months ago.  But tonight I am going on a whole new adventure in the culinary world:  Irish Tripe Stew!!!  

For those of you who don’t know what tripe is you probably don’t want to know, but for the sake of honesty I will enlighten you.   Tripe is the stomach lining of an animal, and in this case I used tripe from a cow.  I do most of my grocery shopping at a place called the English Market here in Cork.  As you walk in there is a butcher that specializes in Tripe and blood sausage.  So every time I have gone to buy food I see the tripe there.  This weekend I finally got up the nerve to try it. 

MAC'S GAELIC TRIPE STEW
Ingredients:
2-2½ pounds honeycomb tripe, diced
1 quart milk
3-4 medium onions, sliced
3-4 medium potatoes, diced
Salt
Pepper 
Fresh parsley to taste, chopped 

Preparation:
- Wash the tripe and then cut it into small bite sized pieces.  
- Then place the tripe into a large pot and cover it with water.  
- Then simmer the tripe for 2 hours.  
- Tripe can be very chewy if you don’t prepare it properly.  
- Cooking it this long helps to improve the texture of the tripe. 
- After 2 hours of simmering drain the tripe of the water and return it to the pot.  
- Then add the potatoes, onions and milk.  
- Simmer again for an additional hour or until the vegetables are tender.  
- After the hour add the salt, pepper and parsley to taste.  
- Then serve and enjoy. 


I hope some of you muster the courage to try this recipe.  It is a very traditional, yet simple Irish dish.  
Remember, cook what you love, love what you eat.  




No comments: