Wednesday, March 9

My Love Affair with Peanut Butter Has Gone Too Far...


I hate to admit it, but I'm involved in an affair... with peanut butter.  I don't know what it is about the delicious spread, but I find it nearly irresistible.  I love putting it on apples as a healthy snack (great for post-workout) or on a banana for breakfast.  It is to DIE for melted on an english muffin, maybe with banana slices on top or honey.  Sometimes, it's simply spoon-to-mouth or if I'm desperate for lunch at work - simply mixing PB & J in a bowl (extreme desperation, I know).  And who can deny the wonderful comfort of a traditional PB & J (except for those of you with nut allergies -- sorry!).
Desperation at its finest
Well I've adapted two recipes into one to make two of my favorite things combined - cookies and peanut butter.  I decided to give up sweets for Lent (what was I thinking?), so these will be strictly to share with others.

The best part is this recipe is rather large - great for bringing baked goods into the office, for a cookie exchange party, or for a gathering of friends.  It makes about 75 decently-sized cookies (depending on how big you make the dough balls).

TIP:
I whisked the dry ingredients together instead of what the recipe called for - sifting.  I mean really, who has a sifter besides your mom?  No first apartment-renter I can think of actually owns a sifter.  So whisk away!

PEANUT BUTTERY DELICIOUSNESS COOKIES

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
16 tbsp (2 sticks!) unsalted butter (at room temp)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup creamy (I prefer crunchy) peanut butter

Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter with both sugars for about 3 min (until it's light and fluffy).
- Add the eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth and well combined... then beat in the peanut butter.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl (easiest with a rubber-tipped spatula).  Reduce the speed to low and beat in the dry flour mixture (from the beginning) in 2 batches (1/2 at first, combine well, add the other 1/2).
- Form dough into 1-in balls and place on non-stick baking sheets.  Flatten each by pressing them with the tines of a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake until golden brown on the bottom and barely colored on top (between 14-16 minutes).
- Let them cool on wire racks completely.


Now a few questions for you (really just to start the good ol' heated debate):
1. Jif or Skippy or Peter Pan
2. Creamy or Crunchy

(Personally, I grew up a Skippy Chunky, but have graduated to Jif Crunchy - partly because of Miss A!)

2 comments:

Melanee said...

you need to try PB and Co peanut butter... it is amazing!!

Anonymous said...

I love Jif, creamy... mixed with Nutella!