Monday, March 28

Mac Monday may be on a hiatus, but I'm still cooking...

Tonight I'm cooking Vegetarian Thai Curry Soup.  I found a Real Simple recipe and embellished it a bit to make it my own.  It's been beautiful here in Chapel Hill -- getting up to 84 degrees last Tuesday -- and somehow today, it was 44 degrees and sleeting when I left for work this morning.  It was a miserable, gray day with a low of 29 degrees - perfect soup day, and even better day for a Thai curry dish.  Spicy food can cure anything -- especially a dreary Monday.

This is a vegetarian soup, with lots of veggies and tofu.  The great part about this soup is that it'd be equally as good with chicken, or shrimp for that matter.  I stuck to tofu, but I added chopped red bell pepper for some extra color.  I doubled this recipe and made a huge spaghetti-pot-size batch of yummy soup.  I like spice, so I used extra Thai red curry paste, extra ginger, and a little crushed red pepper for an extra pop.

This is a super easy soup to make; you just throw everything into the pot and cook (adding one or two ingredients, cook, another few, cook, etc).  And I promise it's a pick-me-up, yummy Monday dinner!  (Plus I doubled the recipe so we have leftovers for the week!)

Thai Curry Vegetable and Tofu Soup


Serves: 4
Total Time: 30 minutes
...from Real Simple (because although mine was delish,
it didn't look as pretty as this!)

Ingredients:
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 14-oz can coconut milk
Kosher salt
1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
4 oz green beans, halved
2 carrots, sliced
14-oz extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
4-oz snow peas
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
Asian chili garlic sauce (optional, for serving)

Directions:
- Place the curry paste and ginger in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the broth, coconut milk, and 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms, green beans, and carrots to the saucepan and simmer until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and snow peas and simmer until the snow peas are bright green, about 1 minute more.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Sprinkle with the basil and serve with the chili garlic sauce (if you decide).

No comments: