Saturday, September 11

Patriotism is Always in Season (Especially in Dessert Form!)

        I LOVE BLUEBERRIES!  I don't think love is even a strong enough word to describe my relationship with blueberries.  I remember one summer when I was younger, I went blueberry picking with my family in Rhode Island.  I don't remember anything about the rest of the experience except for 2 things: 1) my fingers were permanently dyed a deep purple color and 2) the massive stomach ache I got towards the end of our adventure from eating more blueberries than I put in my basket!
        Blueberries, lucky for me, are one of those so-called "super fruits."  They have an incredible dose of antioxidants stuffed into each tiny berry.  Antioxidants are great for maintaining general health and they're also thought to help counteract heart disease, cancers, and other types of illnesses.  Blueberries also pack quite a punch of fiber and vitamin C--perfect since they peak at the end of summer!
        One thing I just learned is how to preserve your blueberries the longest.  The grocery store always has a "buy one, get one" or a "2 for $6" deal with blueberries, but then I never seem to be able to eat them quick enough before they go bad.  But the magical Martha Stewart gave out a few pointers: 1) store them in a single layer, if possible, in a moisture-proof container for up to 5 days and 2) don't wash them until you're ready to use them.
        Sometimes I want a quick dessert that I can do ahead of time so that it's ready.  Fruit desserts are my favorite (chocolate being a close 2nd), plus I can somehow rationalize a dessert if it has fruit in it as not being too bad for me!  Here's the ultimate quick, make ahead of time, healthy-feeling, delicious-tasting yogurt parfait dessert, complete with the good ol' red, white, and blue!  It's perfect for any patriotic holiday (Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc.) and looks beautiful all the while.  The name on the recipe was different and quite boring, so A and I took it upon ourselves to give it a better, more appealing name.  Unfortunately, we couldn't decide so we gave it 2 names:
RED, WHITE AND BLUEBERRY PARFAIT/
BERRY GOOD FOR YOU PARFAIT
        What I love so much about this dessert is the variety of texture; the meringue cookies and pistachios add crunch and a nutty sweetness, while the whipped cream and berries are the perfect taste of summer.  The cream and berries can be prepared ahead of time, up to 3 hours before serving (simply cover separately and chill until ready to assemble).  You can also prepare the whole parfait and refrigerate, uncovered, for up to 1 hour before serving (of course you can wait longer, but the meringues will begin to lose their crunch).
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3 cups mixed fresh berries (I did blueberries, sliced strawberries, raspberries, and a few blackberries for a little tartness); get a little extra to sprinkle on top
  • 3 oz crisp vanilla meringue cookies (don't waste time making your own, I like the store-bought kind)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
Preparation:
  • Wash the berries; cut the strawberries into thin slices; set berries aside.
  • In a large bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream and the powdered sugar; with an electric mixer, beat well until it has a light, almost fluffy consistency and soft peaks form.
  • Fold meringues into the whipped cream mixture.
  • In a small glass (about 12 oz), layer 1/8 berry mixture, 1/8 whipped cream, and 1/8 of the pistachios.  Repeat the layering until the glass is full; top with a few fresh berries.  Layer ingredients in same order in the rest of the glasses.

**The recipe is adapted from a Cooking Light recipe that included Muscat wine and a vanilla bean, cooked to create a sweet wine sauce to mix the with the berries.  I like the berries just natural and fresh, but here's the original recipe if you'd like: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dynaction=
displayRecipe&recipe_id=1194604&adsqs=raid:1648554

I chose my favorite patriotic red, white, & blue dessert especially for this Saturday in September.  On this day September 11, take the time to think back to the same day 9 years ago and the beautiful blue sky day that changed so many lives forever.  
Remember all those who lost their lives, fought to rescue and save lives, and are still fighting around the world to save lives.  Say a quick prayer for all of them and keep them in your hearts.  Never forget September 11, 2001.

No comments: