Friday, September 17

Tips & Tricks From My Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Experience:

        So thankfully, the Strawberry Rhubarb Pie was a HUGE hit!  I made the pie Wednesday and refrigerated it overnight to enjoy on Thursday.  No one in my office had ever had the pie before and neither had A!  Thankfully, everyone loved it and it was all gone in 1 day (The birthday boy even had 2 pieces)!  I may have created a bunch of strawberry rhubarb pie lovers... yay!  
Filled pie crust, sans top crust
Baker's Notes:
        I rarely advise using ready-made crust in any pie, let alone my favorite pie.  But in this case, I needed ease, simplicity, and the least amount of prep work.  Normally I like to bake on the weekends so I have plenty of time to make all of the delicious desserts from scratch, but baking on a school night means I'm already tired from work, the gym, cooking dinner, and now I'm baking.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE baking, but a quick pie was key that night.  If you're in a similar time crunch, buy the frozen Pillsbury 9-inch ready-made pie crusts (in the freezer aisle in a red box) or Pillsbury 9-inch 2 pie crusts in pans (freezer aisle in a bag).  You can still do a lattice crust with the frozen crust; place the first crust in the pan and slice the 2nd crust just like you would if it was homemade.  For being frozen, this pie crust is amazingly delicious AND most people don't notice the difference!  

Pie filling with Pillsbury's ready-made crust ready to go
        I did have ONE crisis in the baking of the pie... I didn't calculate all of the delicious juices that appear when the filling cooks down.  Needless to say, when I checked the pie at the 20 minute mark (before reducing the heat) it looked fine and dandy; when I checked it about 40 minutes into the second baking time, I had a pool of strawberry rhubarb juice on the bottom of my oven!  The pie was overflowing through the edges (which I'm not even really sure how it did)!  Quick crisis mode thinking by A and I, we put a baking pan underneath the pie to catch any more juice.  It made the pie take a little longer to bake, but it saved me from having to clean even more out of the bottom of the oven!  The recipe even said to use a baking sheet underneath and I just disregarded it... don't!  
I highly recommend a baking sheet!!!!!
Making a mess (as usual) when glazing the pie with
whipped egg yolk
... I'll add more of my own photos ASAP of my experience Wednesday with the pie.  It was a lot of fun and I certainly made a mess.  I'll probably be scrubbing the oven for a few days (not really but it'll feel like that), then I'll post them!
Baking the pie... and making my apartment smell
delicious!

1 comment:

Heather Allard said...

Kate,
Sounds delish!

I tried to make an Ina Garten apple tart recipe and the same thing happened - and my oven actually caught on fire! Lol. You can get a silicone liner for the bottom of your oven - I think Williams-Sonoma carries them.

Heather