Tuesday, September 14

Yes, Even Cooking Requires a Stylish Wardrobe

        I think the only thing I like better than cooking (really the eating part is my favorite) is shopping and finding cute clothes and the latest trends.  Don't get me wrong, I love cooking, but shopping just makes me all giddy inside, giving me butterflies as I rush into the apartment and immediately begin trying on my new purchases on as outfits in front of the mirror.  So what feeling could be better than combining the giddiness of having new clothes and the thrill of having cooked an amazing dish?! 
        Enter the apron.  I used to think of aprons as old fashioned things my grandmother wore in the 1950's to keep her beautiful dresses clean.  I tend to cook in shorts and a t-shirt more than anything, so why bother putting on an apron?  Because it can make cooking stylish!  I realized that aprons are yet another way to express your personality in the kitchen!  
       So I went on a hunt for the cutest aprons in every style and in all price ranges (a necessity since my budget is always dwindling).  
Here's what I found:


Anthropologie "Baker's Delight" Apron
$32
And my favorite part about it (besides the delicious looking cupcakes, adorable pink trimming, and lovely bows), is that all of you moms out there can get a matching mini apron for the little baker's helper in your house!  

Anthropologie "Baker's Delight" Kid's Apron
$24
Mommy and Me aprons?! Yes, please!
(http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/category.jsp?popId=HOME&navAction=middle&navCount=115&isSortBy=true&pushId=HOME-KITCHEN&id=HOME-KITCHEN-APRONS)


Prettylittlepearl's "Sweetheart Apron" 
$28
Etsy.com is a GOLDMINE for adorable, often vintage, aprons.  They're all handmade and range from a CareBear print to this gorgeous sweetheart style.  Prettylittlepearl will even personalize it with your name embroidered for free!  Considering nothing is free today, that's a deal you have to snag ASAP.  This one's so pretty that I'd probably forget to take it off before the party!
(http://www.etsy.com/listing/55764339/sweetheart-apron-in-cream-and-black?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=cooking+apron&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title)

Jessie Steele "Hostess" Apron in Brown & Pink Polka dot
$30
 
Now, what could be better than cooking in pink polka dots and a frilly skirt?!  Jessie Steele make a whole line of gorgeous hostess aprons that are all equally as cute.  Everything from paisley to floral to color block, she's done it.  AND you can even get adorable oven mitts... some are even made in the same print as some of her aprons.  The bow is perfect and I just can't get over the ruffle skirt! 
(http://www.laylagrayce.com/Products/Jessie-Steele-Hostess-Apron-Bib-Josephine-Brown-and-Pink-Polka-Dot__JS11194J.aspx) 

Wildcat Lime Apron with Garter
$39.95 & $12.00
This apron is for all of you racy cooks out there... or I guess it'd make a good bachelorette party present too!  You can even get a matching garter!  Who knew there were matching garters and aprons?
(http://www.carolynskitchenonline.com/aprons/Wildcat_Apron_Lime.html?s=1) 

Chili Pepper 3-Pocket Bib Apron
$14.95
Swap out this guy for the residential hottie in your life!  This chili pepper pattern is great for the grill man of the house - still a colorful pattern without being too stylish for a guy in the kitchen.  And if you really want to go for the full effect, you can get it embroidered.  I'd suggest avoiding the girlie monogram and get "Head Chef" or "I'm In Charge In the Kitchen;" adding a little masculinity to a patterned apron is probably a good call.  I know my dad would love it (sans embroidery, definitely!) since he uses jalapenos, cracked red pepper, and/or hot sauce on just about everything!
(http://www.needaprons.com/Style-CP200-Chili-Pepper-Three-Pocket-Bib-Apron_p_92.html)

"I'd Tell You the Recipe" Apron
$9.95
For the comedian/cook of the house, a funny apron never seems 
to disappoint.  I saw this one and knew it'd be a perfect one for Mac since so many of his 
recipes are secretive (that or he just makes them up as he goes)!
(http://www.e-cookbooks.net/aprons/funny.htm)

Anthropologie "Rolling Terrain" Half Apron
$28
I certainly saved the best for last in this case.  This exemplifies one of my favorite styles of apron, the half apron.  Although less practical, the half apron is somehow so much cuter than the typical full bib apron.  The uneven hems and the beautiful transition in fabric patterns on this half apron work because all of them are in the same color range, tied together by the top floral pattern.  This style, and anything from Anthropologie for that matter, is certainly a favorite of Ms. A. 


        Who says you can't make a chore (to some people) stylish?  If I had my way, A and I would have a different apron for each night because I love so many of these and would have a terribly hard time choosing just one.  We also tend to make a mess in the kitchen, so more than one apron would come in handy!  Cooking should always be fun, otherwise you'll never do it, and if it takes a cute apron to get you in the kitchen, so be it.  Go get your style on... Monday night is the epitome of TV style night a la Gossip Girl, inspiring me to uncover stylish kitchen attire.  Serena and Blaire would definitely have stylish aprons to bake, and probably have them match their designer dress while they were at it!
xoxo, Gossip Girl
(I wish... xoxo, K)

No comments: