Thursday, October 21

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes... My Dream Kitchen 101: Stocked & Organized

Look smart, Play smart (my soccer team, 2003)
My club soccer teammates and I (circa 2002)
showing off our cleats (the Patriots '87s)
I've been an athlete all of my life and every day before a practice or a game, my dad would reiterate "Kate, remember... look sharp, play sharp."  To my dad, that meant wearing my shinguards under my socks (it was way cooler to wear them over so the didn't irritate your 7-year-old baby skin), tucking in my shirt for the beginning of the game and leaving it tucked in all game, having a proper curve to my baseball hat (no V's or flat brims), and cleaning my cleats after every game (and that was only after I proved to him that I really wanted to play soccer and stick with it, therefore allowing me to graduate from sneakers to actual cleats).  It goes without saying that I thought, "look sharp, play sharp" was the dumbest expression when I was little, but that was before I understood it.  Now I realize it applies to almost every facet of life, and it most certainly applies to being in the kitchen.  If you have the right tools, chances are your food will come out better and you'll be a better cook.  Sure, the g ear you have isn't everything and isn't going to turn a terrible chef into the next Food Network star, but the right gear will get you well on your way!


The absolute best investment you can make in your kitchen is a good set of knives.  Think about how often you use knives in the kitchen--they're the only tool that I can honestly say I use every single time I'm in the kitchen!  They're going to be expensive, but if you like cooking and want to cook well, they're well worth it.  A good knife set is on almost every bridal registry list because of the price tag and they will last a lifetime if you take care of them.  My parents still have the original knife set they got as a wedding gift in 1977 and have simply supplemented a few extras over the years!  NEVER put your knives in the dishwasher--always hand wash them and dry them immediately.  Taking care of your quality knives will insure they last forever!  There are ranges of knife sets, from a great beginner set to a set worth of an Iron Chef; find what knives you use most and get a starter set with those plus a few extras, you can always build up your collection.
A great starter set; Buy at Amazon.com, $119 (down from $269)
A solid, quality, nearly complete set:
 Buy at Williams-Sonoma, $599.95
And I've secretly always wanted a cool, metallic knife rack so I could just grab what I needed.  I mean how bad ass do they look?!
Buy at Williams-Sonoma, $39.95
When it comes to meat, wood cutting boards are king.  Carving boards often have some type of "gripper" in the middle to keep the meat in place and a trough around the outside to keep the juices off your counter-top and on the cutting board.  A good carving board can be expensive, but you should think of it as an investment in your knives and your kitchen; buy a reversible one and at least you can justify your the price tag!
Buy at Williams-Sonoma, $105
Wood cutting boards are great, but harder to keep clean and sanitary than plastic ones.  You can go through cutting boards fairly quickly, so an investment isn't as important.  I LOVE the plain Ikea plastic cutting boards that come in a variety of sizes, but I don't live as close to Ikea anymore, making it harder to get replacements.  Sometimes the internet is a godsend, because Overstock.com has them in value packs, which are a no brainer when buying cutting boards (but you can snag them almost anywhere).
But at Amazon.com, $11.88
Mixing bowls are the number 1 thing I would recommend having multiples of in your kitchen artillery.  You'll use them for EVERYTHING and manage to constantly be washing them if you cook often enough.  I like to have multiple sizes and several of each size to make cooking, baking, and mixing as easy as possible.  Williams-Sonoma can be overpriced for many things, but their mixing bowls are TO DIE FOR!  Glass bowls are easy to keep clean and sanitary and look great in the kitchen.  And surprisingly, this set is affordable!.
Buy at Williams-Sonoma, $38
Stainless steel mixing bowls are great to have in the kitchen too.  They're incredibly durable and will last you a lifetime of cooking if you take decent care of them.  I often find that mixing bowls can be slippery when I'm cooking, and this great set of bowls are big, deep, and even have a handle to make gripping a little easier.  They're on the pricey side, but again, they're an investment in your kitchen.  
Buy at Williams-Sonoma, $129.95
Another great, and more colorful, option are plastic bowls.  The nesting kind make storage a cinch, plus you'll smile every time you see all the brilliant colors.  Plus, this set comes with a colander and measuring cups too!
Buy at Chef's Resource, $49.95
If you like cheese as much as I do, you MUST have a cheese grater that's easy to use.  The best one I've ever found or used is the newest version of the kind I grew up with, a Zyliss.  They're nifty enough to put on the table when serving pasta, but durable enough for the kitchen and can survive any dishwasher.  It's so much easier than shredding your knuckles to death and much cheaper than buying shredded cheese at the grocery store.
But at Amazon.com, $12.09-$14.99
A good food processor is a kitchen tool that I never appreciated until I really began cooking and experimenting with new recipes.  There are tons of recipes that surprisingly recommend using a food processor -- guacamole, hummus, slicing cucumbers, and even pizza dough.  And how sleek is this Cuisinart model?
Buy at Amazon.com, $199
Measuring cups and spoons are a no-brainer gadget every kitchen needs.  I like the flat spoons and cups in case I need to rest them on the counter top, I don't have to worry about them toppling-over.  A diverse set is great, but make sure you have the basics: 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 1 cup should be the standard measuring cup sizes and 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp should be the bare minimum for measuring spoons.
Buy at Chef's Resource, $33.95

Narrow spoons are great for fitting in spice jars;
Buy at
Chef's Resource, $12.95
I have never had good luck with blenders I've bought.  They all say they're "great for smoothies" or "eats right through an apple for great juicing."  Well I've never had either achievement.  But Black & Decker not only makes tough outdoor electric tools, but a bad-ass blender too.  This has the best ratings for shaving ice (GREAT for margaritas), makes great smoothies (went right through orange and banana peels during a test), and looks fabulous doing it all!
Buy at Black & Decker, $29
Hands down, this is the best thing you'll ever buy if you're a baker: a Silpat nonstick baking mat.  It's the easiest way to keep your sweets from burning on the bottom and sticking to the baking sheet.  It's one of those inventions you wonder why no one thought of it sooner.  It is simply a silicone mat that feels a little greasy, sits right on top of your baking sheet, and works magical wonders.  Try it and you'll never use anything else again!
Buy at Bed, Bath & Beyond or Macy's, $19.99
And finally, my ultimate dream kitchen gadget.  After using my hand electric mixer all weekend to make cupcakes and pie crust, I have never wanted a REAL electric mixer so badly.  And then KitchenAid has the nerve to come out with this gorgeous cornflower blue mixer that just screams to be used?
Buy at Bed, Bath & Beyond, $299
Ultimately, having the necessary (and awesome) tools in your kitchen to mix, stir, peel, cut, blend, and cook practically anything is great.  But knowing what you have in your kitchen is just as useful.  An organized kitchen is a chef's best-kept secret -- knowing what you have and where is essential for a smooth-running kitchen.  Organization is my best friend (an almost obsessive bff), but here are some simple organization tips and tricks for maximizing your kitchen's potential.

No comments: