Monday, October 25

Hooray for Mac Monday: Fried Mashed Potato Balls!!! ...Is It Thanksgiving Yet?!?!



     I went to sleep away camp for the first time in the summer of 1998 when I was in 2nd grade.  Camp O-AT-KA is a traditional all-boys camp, founded in 1906 on the shores of Lake Sebago in Maine.  I wish I could be a camper forever so for the past 5 summers I have worked at the same camp; now I'm a counselor and trying to still feel like a camper even though I'm almost 21 and in college.  

     The camp food is always the best on the opening Sunday of each summer session (because we are trying to impress the parents who are dropping their kids off at camp).  For the past 2 summers, the head chef, Nicolas Munua, has made the most amazing side dish: FRIED MASHED POTATO BALLS!!!  I know it sounds crazy, but they were the most amazing, delicious thing I ate all summer (granted it is camp food.  I started to pester Nick to find out just how he made them.


     He FINALLY told me the recipe at the end of this past summer.  As soon as he started telling me the ingredients and method, I started thinking about all the excuses I could come up with to make this recipe again.  Suddenly, I realized that this new spin on mashed potatoes would be perfect for an updated Thanksgiving Dinner.  


     There are just about 4-weeks until the best holiday of the year: THANKSGIVING!  So in these few excruciatingly long weeks before I get to spend Thanksgiving break with my family in New York, I thought it was only appropriate to whet your appetite and share the recipe.  You better start practicing this recipe before the family arrives for Thanksgiving!!!

The Camp O-AT-KA Shield


Ingredients:
2 cups of mashed potatoes
1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 egg (lightly beaten)
olive oil

Preparation:
     After making your mashed potatoes put them into the freezer for about 1 or 2 hours, until they firm up.  This helps to keep the potatoes together in the frying process.
     Once the potatoes are cooled, remove them from the freezer and let them warm up for about 30 minutes.
     In a large mixing bowl, mix together the potatoes, scallions and egg. 
     Then start rolling the mashed potatoes into little balls.  
     Now spread the bread crumbs out onto a plate or a cookie sheet (preferably with a lip so the bread crumbs do not spill over the edge).  Roll the mashed potato balls in the bread crumbs until there is an even coating. 
     In a medium skillet over medium heat, add about an inch of oil.  (If you have a frying thermometer you are looking for a temperature of about 375 degrees.)  Once the oil is hot, start to fry the balls in batches.  
Each batch should take about 2-3 minutes.  You will know when each batch is done when the breadcrumb coating has a nice golden brown color to it. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe.  It is simple and easy way to bring something new to your thanksgiving tradition.  Remember cook what you love, love what you eat!

No comments: